Bunion surgery recovery
Bunion surgery recovery is never a complicated surgery if all is done well from the very beginning to recovery. The recovery process can be fast and less painful if you are to implement proper wound care. If you are to expect are to have any complications it should not be with bunionectomy. You should have a very successful bunion surgery recovery by just sticking to the simple instructions given to you by your doctor.
Bunion surgery recovery is a personal initiative
Yes, bunion recovery is all about how well you carry yourself after the procedure. Remember in most cases there will be no doctor or nurse around you to take you through the bunion recovery period. In any case it is you who will have sought for their services by going to the hospital or inviting them over to your house.
You therefore need to have the best tips on bunion recovery so as to handle the situation skillfully. If not so you are likely to develop the following complications:
- If proper hygiene on the surgery site is not observed there is the likelihood of getting infections or the bones or even the wound. This would delay the normal healing and make the wound painful due to pus accumulation.
- The bunion defect may recur even after the surgical correction (bunionectomy). You need to consult your physician in case you have detected any abnormalities.
- Bunion surgery recovery may be followed by a decreased sensation or numbness. Especially if there was a nerve affected during the surgery
- Tearing of tendons during the surgery.
- After bunion surgery recovery you may end up with a shorter big toe if there was any bone removed during bunionectomy.
- Complications such as arthritis may come by as a complication of bunion surgery recovery
Important tips to help you out in bunion surgery recovery
As mentioned earlier bunionectomy should not lead to any forms of complications. You can have the following tips to help you out over this period:
- To ensure that you experience little pain and do not get infections ensure that you strictly stick to the doctor’s prescription.
- Do not wet the dressing on the wound. This is likely to cause infection to the wound. You can wear a plastic bag for a very short period if you are to take a shower or handle water.
- Bunion surgery recovery is accelerated by improved blood supply without edema. Be sure to elevate it and place an ice packs so as to avoid any swelling and pain.
- Do not overwork the foot by standing for long, working or even working around. Instead have adequate bed rest for approximately two weeks.
- No matter how much pain you are going through don’t try to run away from exercise. Keeping the foot a little active is god for bunion surgery recovery since it improves on blood supply.
- Finally a bunionectomy patient should not wear closed shoes. After the removal of the stitches only wear shoes for the periods that you can tolerate this would greatly contribute to your bunion surgery recovery.
It is easy to speed up bunion surgery recovery
Bunionectomy is a short procedure done in 45 five minutes for one foot and ninety minutes for both. It is so simple that it can be done by a single surgeon and a scrub nurse with you watching.
After bunionectomy you can be discharged; go home, and resume your normal activities as long as you are not straining the foot. You even do not need to have a walking stick or any other walking assistant for effective bunion surgery recovery.